Anyone who has been following my Facebook or Twitter feed (and if not, why not? Go ahead and follow them!) knows that I have been battling a truly nasty upper respiratory virus for the last several weeks, and made the decision last night not to watch the State of the Union address live. In fact, though I have glanced at some commentary about it and the Republican response, I still have not watched either.
So today's dance is your turn to inform me. It's not often that I'm behind the information curve and seeking information instead of trying to provide it. The questions that follow ask about the State of the Union address (SOTU) in general and about this one in particular. Go to town and have a blast answering:
- Did you watch the State of the Union address last night (2013)? Do you usually watch it live? Why, or why not, to both questions?
- Have you ever played a drinking game during the State of the Union? Do you do so more often when your own party is in power or the other party?
- What would you have liked to hear in last nights SOTU address that you did not hear? What did you hear that you really liked?
- What do you think of the performance aspects of the State of the Union, the clapping and standing and closeups of facial expressions? Are they valuable, do they distract, or is it a little bit of both?
- Was there a good balance this time of foreign and domestic policy or was one favored too much over the other?
- Was anything said during the SOTU that you strongly disagree with or take offense at? What was it? Why did you react so strongly?
- Did you also watch the Republican and Tea Party responses? How do you think they went? Did they have some valuable points?
- Have you read any of the commentary about the State of Union address? Was any of it spot on? (Feel free to link it here). Was someone way off base and why?
- Is the SOTU address an outmoded means of fulfilling the President's constitutional obligation to report to Congress on a yearly basis? Why or why not? How could it be done better?
- If you were to write a State of the Union address, what would you say, and why?
As always, today's dance offers you the opportunity to reply here or to wander through your day thinking about the questions without sharing. Feel free to rope in friends and family to the conversation, and pass the word through the handy share buttons at the bottom of the post.
And here, for reference, is a video of the speech:
- Social media comes alive during SOTU (kypost.com)
- LifeGate Church - State of the Union Address? (teetwoh.com)
- The State of the Union Address: Our National Pro Bowl (nationalreview.com)
- Video: 2013 State of the Union Address - In Full (cbsnews.com)