As I’m writing this, I’m waiting for Husband to get up so we can have a breakfast date at a local cafe. I like breakfast. Every weekday I eat at least some yogurt or Greek yogurt with my coffee, or an English Muffin, or Raisin Bran, or some oatmeal. Sometimes, when I’m ‘being bad’, I have a ‘sugar cereal’ in the morning instead. When I’m feeling energetic, I make homemade fruit and soy or almond milk shakes.
On weekends, breakfasts around here can be elaborate, with homemade biscuits and gravy, or scrambled eggs, bacon, and fried potatoes, or pancakes, or slow cooked steel cut oats made with whole milk and drizzled with fresh fruit and honey, or on some very lucky mornings, homemade crepes with strawberries and bananas. Most of these are made by Husband, who is a competent and enthusiastic chef.
I live a life without known food allergies or restrictions and a fully omnivorous diet, so my breakfasts may be very different from yours. Growing up, it was drilled into me that the morning meal was the most important meal of the day. My father was often up long before the rest of us making hot cereal or toast and eggs, and my father’s pancake recipe was (and is) to die for.
On that note, let’s dance the dance:
- Do you eat breakfast every day? Why or why not?
- What does your typical breakfast look like?
- What did you have this morning?
- Do you have food preferences or restrictions that make your breakfast very different from most ‘Western’ people’s? How so?
- How is eating out for breakfast different from eating in for you? Do you eat more or less? Different foods?
- Big or little meal, or does it depend? Protein or fruit or grain? A combination?
- How often do you indulge in breakfast foods that you know aren’t really good for you?
- How does your day typically differ if your breakfast is different from usual? If you skip breakfast when you normally have one? If you eat a morning meal when you normally skip it?
- Do you have coffee or some other caffeinated beverage for breakfast? Something else? What about juice.
- Compared to other meals, do you eat more or less calories at your morning meal? Any particular reason?
- Pizza for breakfast? Why or why not? What about grits?
- Anything else you think is interesting about your breakfasting habits?
As always, feel free to wander through the day pondering these questions, or write down a reply. Share and pass on the conversation to others. I’ll see you later today with a giveaway.
- 10 Memorable Movie Breakfast Scenes (entertainment.time.com)
- A Healthy Breakfast: Not An Impossible Mission (dominicspoweryoga.com)
- Healthy Breakfast Meals That Fuel the Body (lowfat.answers.com)